Verdict. “AOL Broadband is safe, apple-friendly and mac compatible. They offer a good range of services from dial-up to ‘Wireless Plus’ offering speeds of upto 8Mb. AOL offer flexible packages, good support and reliability.”
Pro.“Good service and reliable”
Con.“Avoid the publicised laptop offer – the Dell is rubbish”
AOL broadband products
Best AOL Deal. AOL Wireless, 10Gb monthly download limit. Total Year1 cost £149.88 (Order online and get 1 month FREE) Sign up to AOL today
Feedback. Got any recommendations or strong feelings about AOL? Then leave a comment.
More about AOL Broadband
- Broadband for Mac packages
- About AOL broadband
- About AOL’s service
- Standard features
- Current promotions
- Switching broadband to AOL
- Customer support
- What you need to get AOL broadband
- The small print
- Reader’s comments about AOL
AOL offer a choice of four AOL Broadband Options*, starting from only £14.99 a month. All AOL’s broadband options offer free connection, download speeds of at least 2Mb and free Evening & Weekend UK phone calls with the AOL talk plan.
AOL is one of the world’s largest and most trusted Internet Services providers. 33 million customers worldwide connect to the Internet through AOL’s dial-up and AOL broadband services. AOL offer their customers a wide range of content including news, entertainment, sport and exclusive music sessions as well as a range of online tools that enable them to do more.
AOL UK was created in 1996, with the first AOL UK television adverts appearing on screens in 1998. AOL UK broadband was launched in 2002 and that same year the number of AOL’s UK customers reached 1.5 million. The number of AOL UK customers is now over 2 million!
Towards the end of 2006, AOL UK was purchased by the Carphone Warehouse – making the AOL / Carphone Warehouse the 3rd largest broadband provider in the UK.
Currently, AOL UK will remain a separate business from Talk Talk (another broadband provider owned by the Carphone Warehouse) and will continue to provide its new and existing customers with AOL content and AOL email addresses.. In January 2007 AOL UK was re-branded as AOL Broadband.
The AOL Broadband package offers you a connection speed of 2Mb-8Mb from a well-known and established ISP backed by the CarphoneWarehouse. Customers are free to set up home networks where more than one computer benefits from the same internet connection. AOL broadband prides itself on its extra features, which include parental controls, anti virus software and spam filters. Download limits are subject to AOL broadband’s fair usage policy.
- First month FREE when you join online.
- No activation fee, FREE connection and FREE wireless router (with ‘broadband in a box’ installation software).
- McAfee personal firewall – helps keep your network safe from hackers and viruses.
- FREE email with upto 7 addresses for your use and 2Gb of storage.
- Email anti virus – AOL automatically scan any email receaived to an @aol.co.uk address for viruses.
- Spam blockers – AOL’s email systems protect you from unwanted spam.
- Parental controls – Helps parents monitor their child’s online usage; you can block websites, set access levels for different users or just monitor who has been looking at what on the internet.
- Compatible with Xbox Live and Playstation Net.
AOL are currently offering a FREE playstation 3 with every connection to AOL broadband PLUS. (*Subject to 24 month contract – ouch!)
- Visit the AOL Broadband website for further details of their broadband deals
- Latest Mac Broadband news articles about AOL
You can apply to switch to AOL Broadband is easy. Everything you need to do to connect to AOL broadband will be handled by the AOL team with no interruption to your existing broadband service. The MAC migration of your broadband is as follows:
- Check to see if you are able to switch from your current Broadband provider. Click here to find their contact details.
- Call your current broadband provider to ask for your MAC code. What is a MAC code?
- Then return to AOL to order your broadband or call the AOL Broadband switcher team on 0800 200 6280.
- Sit back and relax as AOL handle everything for you.
Find out more on the AOL broadband website, AOL Broadband
- AOL broadband have an online member’s area with support via email.
- ‘Live’ online help from 8am until midnight, 7 days a week.
- Customer helpline is open 8am until midnight, 7 days a week (prices do vary – check AOL’s website for details.
- A BT telephone line in a broadband enabled area.
- A broadband modem or modem router for connecting your devices (including Apple mac) to AOL – this is supplied FREE of charge with AOL broadband packages.
- Telephone line filters – Three are included with AOL.
- A broadband compatible operating system – above Mac OS 8/9, Mac OSX etc. (PC computers will need to be specced higher than Windows 2000).
* If you choose not to take a AOL Talk product then you will be charged an additional £5.00 per month.
** AOL broadband Pay As You Go has no monthly subscription charges so you only pay for the times you pick up the phone plus you can talk for up to an hour to all UK landlines (starting 01 and 02) for just £4.25 in evening and weekends.